Writing introductions is an important skill required to write a high-grade essay. To introduce the audience to the topic, use Funnel Technique suggesting to start from general and to gradually move to specific things. Mind different types of thesis statement structure. Use hooks to attract your reader!
To draw the audience’s attention to the essay’s main topic, the following types of hooks can be used as listed below:
1. Funnel technique (background information as a topic warm-up)
Example: There are a wide variety of hobbies to choose from in this life. Not all reflect national identity. Falconry, however, does.
2. Funnel technique (definition)
Example: A drug is any substance that has a physiological effect.
3. A question / a rhetorical question
Example: Who is it that should decide whether the UAE should be a world leader?
4. Interesting statistic
Example: Over 70% of university graduates in the UAE are women.
5. Direct quote (of someone who is trusted or admired)
Example: In the words of His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (2013), “We have great faith in Emiratis. They are in control of their own destiny.”
6. Personal story (to establish credibility)
Example: To date, I have established charitable organizations in forty-three countries.
7. Dramatic story (appeal to pathos)
Example: In 2007, my uncle was hit by a drunk driver and suffered the loss of his legs.
One of the hooks we are going to overview in this post is called the Funnel Technique.
The main principle of this technique is going from GENERAL to >>>> SPECIFIC.
You should start writing from outlining the topic, then narrow it down and lastly define your Thesis Statement, including the reasons for your opinion. The structure, thus, will be defined as follows.
TOPIC + POSITION + PLAN
1. YOUR TOPIC
2. POINT OF VIEW/ OPINION / CONTROLLING IDEA
3. SUPPORTING POINTS TO DISCUSS
One type of Thesis Statement is: Topic + Position
- Chocolate is good for you.
- The invention of the airplane was a negative thing.
- The discovery of diamonds has caused more human tragedy than war.
Plan includes supporting points to discuss.
You can write your introduction in two ways:
- TS + GENERAL PLAN: a phrase with a general type of information you will discuss.
- Chocolate is good for you because of its health benefits.
- The invention of the airplane was a bad idea because of its negative impacts on the world.
- The discovery of diamonds has caused more human tragedy than war because it led to an increase of inequality level between people.
- TS + SPECIFIC PLAN: a list of specific supporting points you will discuss.
- Chocolate is good for you because of its health benefits: it aids digestion, it creates positive moods in people; and it contains antioxidants.
- The invention of the airplane resulted in numerous devastating economical, social, and political effects around the world.
- The discovery of diamonds has resulted in an increase of inequality between people of different levels of wealth.
ARGUMENTATIVE THESIS STATEMENTS
The thesis statement for your argumentative essay is probably the most important part of the essay. Your thesis statement must do a number of things. Look at the list below and decide which of these things apply to a good argumentative essay thesis.
An appropriate argumentative essay thesis must:
- …look at both sides of an argument.
- …provide some statistical evidence to support your opinion.
- …state your opinion on the issue very clearly.
- …show the areas you intend to explore in your essay to support your opinion.
- …look at a very large topic.
- …limit the topic so that it can be examined in detail in the paper.
- …show that you have already read some reliable and relevant sources on this area, and that these sources have helped you to decide your opinion.
- …cause debate and disagreement among a group of educated readers.
ANALYZE THE FOLLOWING THESIS STATEMENTS. ARE THEY GOOD OR IN NEED OF IMPROVEMENT? WHY?
- This essay will argue that being a single child has both advantages and disadvantages. The areas of social development, education, and effects on society will be examined.
- The death penalty is simply legalized murder on the part of the state and should be banned worldwide because it is unethical, impractical and ineffective in discouraging crime.
- Arranged marriages are better than “love” marriages for the children, society and the couple themselves.
Source: AEssay Team
If you find this article not helpful enough or you are not sure how to write a good introduction with a proper thesis statement and a hook, you can order it from our AEssay Custom Writing Team.